Family compensation after the death of a loved one at work

On Behalf of | Nov 2, 2018 | Wrongful Death

If you have lost a loved one due to a work-related accident, you will know that no amount of money can ever turn back time. It is likely that you will be filled with anger toward the workplace and be perplexed as to how such a thing could happen.

It is important to know that a full investigation will be carried out after any fatality in the Ohio workplace. It is also important to know that as a dependent of the worker, you should be entitled to compensation to help you to carry on financially in the future.

How do I know if I am entitled to the compensation?

In order to collect accrued compensation as a family member, you need to be a dependent. In other words, if you depended on the deceased person financially.

How can I take action in gaining this compensation?

You must first be able to prove your relationship with your loved one through a birth or marriage certificate. If you are based in the state of Ohio, you then need to visit and use the Application for Accrued Compensation (C-6).

What kind of compensation will I be entitled to?

You will be able to receive compensation for expenses such as funeral costs and other costs relating to your loved one’s death. It is likely that you will also be able to gain death benefits as a dependent.

If you want to know your rights to expenses and benefits after the death of a loved one in a work-related accident, it is important to understand how the law works.